1622 N Gower St, Suite G, Los Angeles, CA 90028

California Cannabis Application Drafting  Consultants

LA County Cannabis License Application Consultants

Cannabis Business Application Advisors

The State of California has long been a national leader in many areas related to social change. In 1996, California was the first state to allow medical marijuana when the voters passed Proposition 215, known as the Compassionate Care Act. In 2015, a trio of bills--AB243, AB266, and SB643, known together as the Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act ("MMRSA")--was enacted, establishing a comprehensive regulatory system for the state's medical cannabis industry. The following year, California voters approved the Adult Use of Marijuana Act ("AUMA"), popularly known as Proposition 64 ("Prop 64"). Prop 64 legalized the use of cannabis for adults age 21 and over, with sales commencing on January 1, 2018. In June 2017, the MCRSA and AUMA were consolidated by SB94 into the Medicinal and Adult Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act ("MAUCRSA"). Recent studies have shown that over the next few years, the legal commercial cannabis industry is expected to continue to soar, with tax revenues anticipated to exceed $132 billion by 2025 nationwide.

With unparalleled potential business opportunities, you need a trusted advisor to assist you in navigating this complex industry. Since 2014, GWC has been working closely with cannabis industry regulators and operators and has a robust working knowledge of the ever-changing cannabis regulations and landscape to be your professional consultant for all your cannabis business needs. At Green Wise Consulting (GWC), we can help you prepare the necessary local and state applications for required cannabis business permits and licenses.

Retail Dispensary Licensing With or Without Delivery

Regulated by the Bureau of Cannabis Control ("BCC"), retail dispensaries (Type 10 - storefront and Type 9 - delivery) are the most visible and controversial type of cannabis business. Those retail storefront operators have long faced criticism from opponents of legalized cannabis. Moreover, the MAUCRSA and local regulations place various limitations on where storefront dispensaries can be located, such as setbacks establishing buffers away from schools, daycare centers, churches, parks, and other sensitive uses. It is important to have experienced assistance throughout the application process. GWC will assist you with strategic planning so that your applications can be approved quickly and without unnecessary complications.

Cultivation Licensing

Cultivation is regulated by the California Department of Food and Agriculture ("CDFA"). In order to obtain a license from CDFA, you will need to first obtain approval the local municipality in which your business will conduct its operations. Application requirements vary by locality, but our team is equipped to help you meet them. We will assist you in vetting the right location, securing any necessary environmental permits, and preparing your application for local and CDFA approval. Additionally, the GWC team is ready to assist with obtaining necessary permits from the State Water Boards and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.


The California Department of Public Health ("CDPH") regulates the manufacturing and packaging/labeling sector of the cannabis industry. Manufacturing licenses (Volatile or Non-Volatile) require dual approval from the local jurisdiction as well as the CDPH. Manufacturing licenses are required for businesses that make products derived from cannabis, such as edibles, vape pen oils, concentrates, and topicals. GWC has worked on dozens of local and state manufacturing licenses for various clients, with a strong track record of success. Our ability to work hand-in-hand with the CDPH has allowed our team to develop and improve our clients' business SOPs to ensure they are compliant.

Distribution and Transportation-Only Licenses

Distribution and Transportation-Only licenses are essential to the state's cannabis supply chain. Licensed Transportation-Only and Distribution operators are tasked with ensuring quality assurance and quality control of cannabis and cannabis products by licensed third-party testing labs and the collection and payment of cannabis taxes to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA). These types of businesses are subject to increased scrutiny by the BCC, beginning with the licensing process. Our team understands the complexities of cannabis distribution and transportation-only licenses, and we can help you obtain the licenses you need to be successful.

Testing Labs

Testing licenses are handled by the Department of Consumer Affairs arm of the BCC. The BCC is directly involved in the application and compliance processes, and GWC's team can work with you to ensure your laboratory can pass the stringent guidelines imposed and ensure compliant operation once licensed.


The BCC acts as the lead regulatory agency for issuance of a microbusinesses license. A microbusiness license allows a licensee to engage in at least three out of the four following activities on the same contiguous premises: (1) Cultivation of not more 10,000 square feet of canopy; (2) Distribution; (3) Retail – Storefront and/or Delivery; (4) Non-Volatile Manufacturing (Type 6).

Licensees are required to comply with all applicable rules and regulations, including those adopted by the CDFA and the CDPH for cultivation or manufacturing activities. GWC can help you navigate the complexities of this type of operation with all the resources you need to be successful.

With our knowledge and experience, we have successfully served clients in the following ever-expanding list of jurisdictions:

  • Alameda County
  • Bellflower
  • Culver City
  • Merced
  • Montebello
  • Long Beach
  • Los Angeles
  • San Diego
  • Santa Monica
  • Santa Rosa
  • Ukiah
  • Union City
  • West Hollywood
  • And many others

Get Help With Your Application

If you are looking to get started with your cannabis business, contact us for guidance with preparing your application. Call 323-645-7669 for an appointment at our Los Angeles office. We also maintain a presence in San Diego and the Bay Area.

GWC is not a law firm and does not provide any legal advice or representation. Green Wise Legal, P.C. is a related entity with overlapping partial common ownership that offers a full range of cannabis business-related legal services.

California Cannabis Industry Association National Cannabis Industry Association Focus Foundation of Cannabis Unified Standards Sierra Club
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Instagram
Back to Top